June 2017 Video & Discussion: “Do You Want to Be Free From Fear?” – Carl Medearis
Our culture is steeped in fear and anxiety.
Fear of failure. Death. Looking stupid. Getting old. Suffering. Lacking money. Most of it seems understandable, relatable, and sometimes, even helpful. But what if it isn’t? What if fear keeps us from the fullness of life and relationship that our souls crave? What if it keeps us from the joy of walking intimately with Jesus? It does, and it will. But, freedom is possible.
- Do you consider yourself a fearful person? Has fear ever held you back from doing something you wanted, or felt compelled, to do? With hindsight, are you glad you held back, or do you regret it?
- Imagine yourself in Peter’s shoes. Do you think you would have acted similarly? Different? Why do you think Jesus said yes?
- Has fear ever held you back from obeying Jesus? If you are willing, please share.
- Carl suggests that perfect fear and perfect love are mutually exclusive. They cannot coexist. What do you think of this statement? If you are honest, is the object of your love greater than the object of your fear?
- According to Carl, a lifetime of saying yes to Jesus will set you free from fear. It’s not an “insta-presto” thing. What do you think it would look like for you to “say yes” to Jesus tomorrow morning?