October 2015 Video, Discussion & a Meal: “Can We Hear?” – Kathy Maskell
- What aspect of this story — something about the woman, Jesus, the crowd — stands out to you most? Why?
- Kathy creatively emphasizes the deep sense of shame associated with this woman’s illness. In what ways do you think Jesus’ response to this woman surprises her?
- In this story, we see two desperate people reaching out to Jesus for help. For different reasons, both the woman and Jairus took significant risk in going to Jesus. Would you ever think of “going to Jesus” with the places of pain, shame, or need in your own life? Why or why not?
- Kathy makes several references to the “home” or “household” of Jesus. What does this story tell us about who is welcome into his house?
- Though this story includes two examples of healing by Jesus, Kathy acknowledges that we don’t always see the miracles we hope for. In fact, she suggests that it is the pain and suffering we experience that enable us to bring healing to others and to welcome others into Jesus’ house. Do you agree or disagree with this? Why or why not?
Here’s an easy & delicious meal suggestion: